Learn About Your Eyes
What Is An Optometrist and What Do They Do?
Doctors of optometry are trained to examine, diagnose, treat and manage disorders that affect the eye or vision. They care about protecting one of your most valued senses, your vision!
Optometrists provide a wide range of care:
- Detect and diagnose eye diseases such as glaucoma, cataracts, dry eye, retinal disorders or infections
- Prescribe medication to treat eye diseases
- Evaluate and treat vision conditions such as nearsightedness, farsightedness
- Perform minor surgical procedures such as removing foreign objects from the eye
- Provide pre- and post- operative care, especially for glaucoma, laser, refractive and cataract patients
Because optometrists are trained to recognize critical health issues, such as diabetes and hypertension while examining the eye, having an eye exam can save your life as well as your vision.